Light Pole/Flag Banners Policy & Application
Light Pole Flag Policies
The City of Aspen provides space to hang flags in the downtown core on Light Posts with the intent of celebrating significant anniversaries of local non-profit organizations beginning at the 10th year anniversary and for prominent local, regional, national, and international events. Banner and flag applicants shall be handled on a first come, first serve basis. Applicants may be asked to alternate light posts with other organizations. The City reserves the right to prioritize City sponsored events over other applicants.
The City of Aspen Engineering department will facilitate the hanging of banners and flags on light posts
in accordance with Municipal Code 26.510.030 (B)(3), which states “any such temporary sign which extends over or onto a public right-of-way shall be erected and maintained in such a manner as to not interfere with or obstruct access, activity, or vision along any such public right-of-way and shall be subject to the written approval of the Engineering Department.”
Applicants are required to submit an application to the Engineering Department showing the dimensions, design and colors of the proposed banners or flags at least three (3) months prior to the event.
The following criteria and procedures shall apply to all requests for flag placement on light posts:
- The applicant shall be required to submit and application to the Engineering Department office showing the dimensions, design and colors of the proposed banners or flags at least three (3) months prior to the event.
- Commercial advertising may not take up more than 30% of the total banner and/or flag area.
- Political advertising on or located in the public right-of-way on public property (even by a non-profit organization) is prohibited per the Aspen Municipal Code 26.510.120 © (3)(b)(2).
Size and Material Requirements
All proposed banners should meet the City’s specifications for size, mounting and material.
- Banners shall be 2’ in width by 4’ in height to be compatible with the mounting system on the light posts.
- Must have a 2 inch pocket to slide into the lightpole
- Must have 1 inch grommets (see placements below)
- Banners and flags must be made of nylon, plastic or similar durable material. Paper is not allowed.
- Please note, we cannot hang banners that are incorrect size/material, and are not responsible for for any reimbursement shall this be the case.
An installation fee of $20 per flag shall be charged. There are a total of thirty (30) light posts on Main Street and in the downtown core with brackets for mounting flags.
*Please note that, reservations for the 14 day allowed period may not be booked back to back.
Payments must be made in full prior to hang dates. All checks should be dropped off or mailed to City Hall (427 Rio Grande Place) attention Engineering Department.
Time Limit for Display
The display of banners and flags on the Main Street light posts shall not exceed fourteen (14) days or the duration of the event, whichever is less. Banner and flag approvals are not guaranteed and will only be hung upon availability of the Electric and/or Parks Department staff. The length of time that a banner is to be hung is not guaranteed, and may be shortened at the discretion of the City.
Flags shall be delivered to the Electric Department at 219 Puppy Smith Road one (1) week prior to the event.
A late fee of $100 will be imposed if banners/flags are not delivered on time. Late banners and flags will be hung based on availability of City of Aspen staff.
Banners and flags must be picked up within one week (1) after the display period. The City of Aspen assumes no responsibility for and may discard banners left over 7 days