AIM Utility Project Coming to Aspen This Spring
Beginning in May all electric and water meters are being upgraded
Contact: Ryan Loebach, PE, Senior Project Manager, Utilities Department, 970-309-9750 or email@example.com or Mitzi Rapkin, Communications Manager, 970-319-2791 or Mitzi.firstname.lastname@example.org
Aspen, Colorado – April 15, 2021 – This spring the Aspen Utility department is implementing the meter upgrade phase of the Aspen Intelligent Metering Project. The project was approved in 2018 as an effort to modernize electric and water consumption meters and data collection from 3,100 electric and 4,000 water customers. New meters will provide meter consumption data directly to the department alleviating the need for in-person collection of meter data.
This modernization for all utility customers requires upgrades or full replacement of some older meters. Beginning in May, Aspen’s subcontractor, SiteWise, will be installing the upgrades neighborhood by neighborhood. The benefits for customers include:
• Customer access to water and electric consumption data
• Replacing aging/obsolete meter infrastructure components
• Improved water and electric meter consumption data
• Increased consumption data reliability to support efficiency programs, system capacity analysis, and capital project planning
• Improved electric service outage detection and restoration management
• Improved water loss tracking/checking
All customers will receive detailed communications from the City and its contractor on when meter upgrades will be taking place at their property. A utility bill insert with information about the project went out in early April and each property owner will receive a post card reminder of the upgrade 4-6 weeks, 10 days and/or 7 days before installation.
More information on the project at cityofaspen.com/aim.