IF YOU ARE DEVELOPING A NEW OR
EXISTING PROPERTY, THE WATER EFFICIENT LANDSCAPING STANDARDS ORDINANCE MAY IMPACT YOU.
Q & A:
WHY A WATER EFFICIENT LANDSCAPING ORDINANCE?
Reducing outdoor water demand management is important because planning forecasts show that projected future municipal water demands will exceed the Community’s water supply during extreme drought periods, particularly during seasons with high outdoor water use. Managing our outdoor water use will help mitigate this scenario.
HOW WILL THE CITY APPLY THE ORDINANCE?
The standards will apply to the following projects that use City of Aspen potable water:
- Landscaping, grading, installing or disturbing hardscapes, additions to structures, etc. that has a disturbance area greater than 1,000 square feet and greater than 25% of entire site.
- All new construction with internal work only that demolishes greater than 50% of the existing structure.
- City and county parcels currently on well water that apply for a new City water account
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF THE ORDINANCE?
- Promote the values and benefits of healthy landscapes while recognizing the need to invest in water use efficiency
- Establish a structure for planning, designing, installing, maintaining and managing water-efficient landscapes in new construction and renovated/rehabilitated projects.
- Use water efficiently without waste by setting an upper limit water budget and low use as a goal.
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES?
The water efficient landscaping ordinance establishes standards that promote efficient development and use of water within the City of Aspen’s water service area. Implementation of these standards fulfills certain recommendations identified in the City of Aspen’s Municipal Water Efficiency Plan, the Roaring Fork Regional Water Efficiency Plan, and the Roaring Fork Watershed Plan.
WHEN WILL ENFORCEMENT OF THE ORDINANCE TAKE EFFECT?
The Water Efficient Landscaping Standards (WELS) Ordinance was adopted by Aspen City Council on June 22, 2017, and administered as a “pilot phase” program until December 31, 2018. As of January 1, 2019, all documentation requirements, submittals, and installations identified in the WELS will be required and enforced. WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
For more information and/or assistance, please contact Rick Magill, WELS Plans Reviewer, at 970.920.5120 or email@example.com
Links to the Water Efficient Landscaping Standards, Pre-Submission Checklist, and other valuable information can be found at: