Apply for a Short-term Rental Permit

How to Apply for a New STR Permit

New STR permits can be applied for at any time. Please consult the STR Program Guidelines for information about application and compliance requirements for the different permit types.

  1. Visit Aspen MUNIRevs and click the “New User – Register” button. Follow the detailed instructions to set up your MUNIRevs account. If you already have a MUNIRevs account, skip to step 2. 
  1. Log in to Aspen MUNIRevs as an “Existing User” with your account credentials. Select “I have a new business and need to apply for a license.”
  2. Enter the STR address in the “Business Name” field. Select the STR permit you’d like to apply for from the “Business Type” dropdown; the choices are STR-C, STR-OO, or STR-LE. Choose your role from the dropdown; the choices are Accountant, Employee, Operator, Other, or Owner.
  3. Fill out the permit application form in MUNIRevs. Upload the required supplemental documents to the application as requested by the application form. See below for supplemental documents. If you need to save and exit the application to complete the documents, you may do so by clicking the blue “Save and Return to Business Center” button at the bottom left of the page. 
  1. Pay the permit fee in MUNIRevs using a credit card or bank account.
  2. Applications are reviewed by City staff within 15 business days of the permit fee payment date. 
  3. Upon review of a compliant application packet, applicants will be contacted with information about next steps, which could include a public notice requirement, a waitlist, or permit issuance, depending on the permit type.

How to Renew an Existing STR Permit

The renewal period for 2022 STR permits with an expiration date of 12/31/22 is now open. The renewal process consists of two tasks: a survey and a permit application. Please note the deadlines for each task below. 

  1. Submit a response to the survey. This task MUST be completed by December 31, 2022. 

Log in to your MUNIRevs account and complete the one-question “STR Permit Survey” in your “Open Tasks.” In the survey, you will indicate which new permit type you would like to renew your existing permit for. Staff will update your account with the required renewal forms for step 2.

  • Responses submitted prior to 11/21/22 will receive renewal forms on 11/22/22.
  • Responses submitted from 11/21/22 – 12/20/22 will receive renewal forms on 12/21/22.
  • Responses submitted from 12/20/22 – 12/31/22 will receive renewal forms on 1/2/23.

 2. Submit the renewal application. This task MUST be completed by January 13, 2023. 

When you receive an email from MUNIRevs indicating that you have new “Open Tasks,” log in to your MUNIRevs account and begin the renewal form in your “Open Tasks.” Be prepared to upload supplemental documents with your renewal form (see “Required Documents” below). When you have paid the permit fee, your permit renewal is complete. 

IMPORTANT! If 2022 permits are not renewed in accordance with the deadlines indicated above for each task, permit holders will be subject to the application requirements for new permits, including public noticing and waitlists in certain zones. There will be no exceptions.

Please be advised that business licenses also require renewal for 2023 and you will be assigned the appropriate business license renewal in MUNIRevs separately from your STR permit renewal. For tax or business license questions, reach out to the Finance Department. 

Required Documents for STR Permit Applications

The documents below must be submitted in conjunction with each new or renewal STR permit application in MUNIRevs. Please consult pages 14-15 of the STR Program Guidelines to determine which documents are required with your STR permit application type. 

* Renewal applications are not subject to noticing requirements.

If you have questions about the application process or permit requirements, please consult the STR Program Guidelines.

Which Permit Type Should You Apply For?

Use the flowchart below to help determine which of the three permits you are eligible to apply for.