Board of Examiners for Standardized Testing (BEST) is a program coordinated between the City of Aspen, Pitkin County, and regional jurisdictions in the Roaring Fork Valley and along the I-70 corridor to test contractor and job supervisor knowledge of the International Code Council (ICC) codes. Those who pass the BEST Test receive a BEST Card that validates their knowledge of the ICC code.
BEST Cards are not contractor licenses, nor are they business licenses. After receiving a BEST Card or State License, contractors are required to obtain a contractor license through the City of Aspen in order to work in Aspen or Pitkin County. A BEST Card is attached to the test taker, not to the company. When a cardholder leaves a company, the card goes with them.
Who is Required to have a BEST Card?
- All licensed general contractors must have a BEST Card or ICC Certification.
- Specialty contractors must have a BEST Card specific to their trade.
- Job supervisors working within Aspen and Pitkin County.
The City of Aspen will honor BEST Cards issued from other jurisdictions with approval from the City Chief Building Official.
Prepare for the BEST Test
BEST Tests are open-book tests, and you are responsible for acquiring a book for the test. The tests are a random selection of questions, which are true/false or multiple choice questions.
The Historic Preservation Test is based on specific study materials and is also an open-book test.
Spanish BEST test and Spanish Code Books Available
International Residential Code (IRC) and ICC books are available in Spanish through Community Development at no cost. Books are available on loan for those studying for the BEST Test. Books are for the 2018 International Code Council (ICC) codes but can be used for testing purposes even though the Building Department is still using the 2015 ICC Code.
BEST Testing Fee Schedule
|Type of Test||Total Questions||Price|
|Light Commercial||50 Questions||$50.00|
|Residential/Owner Builder||25 Questions||$25.00|
|Specialty Tests: HPC, Roofing, Mechanical||25 Questions||$25.00|
Schedule a BEST Test
City of Aspen
- Follow these instructions to log in to your Salesforce account and start an Application for a Certification.
- After your application is submitted, staff will review it and contact you within two business days to arrange payment for the testing fees.
- You will receive a link to the BEST Test.
- Staff will receive a notification when you complete the test and will score it.
- If you pass, a new BEST Card will be mailed to you within three business days. In the meantime, you will receive a digital copy of your card.
The City of Aspen offers BEST testing online for contractors that work in Pitkin County. A Salesforce account is required. If you already have access to Salesforce, you do not need to register for the test. All tests are administered on the 2015 ICC Codes.
Other local jurisdictions that provide testing and issue BEST Cards include:
- Town of Basalt
- The Town of Carbondale
- City of Glenwood Springs
- Town of Silt
- The Town of Snowmass Village
ComDev Administrative Staff
427 Rio Grande Place
Aspen, CO 81611